Having successfully made the Princess Sofia dress I decided my next project would be Snow White. I looked for photographs of Snow White so I could see what her dress looked like in terms of colours etc and ordered some satin fabric from eBay in the perfect colours.
While I am working on this project I am also looking at fabric for an Elsa dress from Frozen. I posted a query on a page on facebook that I use and had lots of replies. People are so helpful.
It’s nice to know you are part of a crafting community.
I looked for a pattern to help with the snow white dress and though I had the bridesmaids dress pattern I found an actual snow white so bought it. It’s Simplicity 2563.
Since this had the piping detail and correct shape for bodice it was the best bet rather than an adaptation. The big change I made was the sleeves. The pattern has these teardrop shaped appliqué red shapes on it but I had found a couple of online tutorials for proper pleated sleeves like in old period costumes.
This is what I did here in this link to pleated sleeves. I ended up with these lovely sleeves I was really happy with the result. Much better than appliqué.
I spent ages choosing colours and once again changed the colour scheme slightly from the pattern. When I looked at pictures of Snow White the sleeves were more royal blue than pale blue and the bodice was darker. The bodice was more like a navy. The sleeves had a yellow band. So my colours were navy bodice. Royal blue and red sleeves with yellow band and yellow skirt.
The end result was lovely. Really bright and beautiful. It’s an age 4 as it was made for a friend’s granddaughter. I hope she loves it.
Now I just have to make a smaller one for my little girl.